Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Strawberry Point~aka scary high place


This area was amazing to visit, nobody there, just a narrow "catwalk" that I was a little shy about going out on, (so I didn't), but I got really close, as you can see from the pics. The view from here varies, from the north you can see the backside of Zion N.P. to an enormous "bowl of pines" to red spires jutting out just below our feet. It is a maze to get there because you have to drive on bumpy dirt roads, but it really is worth it. It's a mini-hike, so you basically park the car and walk a couple of hundred yards to the end of the "plank", where you can see my friend Keith, (he's a skydiver, so nothing scares him). He looks small; he looks like he is further out than he really is, so if you visit, don't let that scare you. I think I might try to "get brave" and get on out there next time I go up. I'm terrified of heights, but I've been trying to get over that fear, and as you can see, the ledge I am standing on, well, a few months ago, I would never have gotten that close...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhm...I think NOT.

A bit of phobia is sometimes a good thing.

Ask Raina's dare-devil boyfriend who jumped from one rock way down to another in Moab, Utah, and almost hurled off into a deathly ravine. His daring jump shattered both his heels and he will never be the same.

The doctors operated to set what they could of his feet and heels, cutting the tops of his feet lengthwise in several places. His feet blew up like ballons from the swelling and his skin will never again meet so it can heal together, so they are now in the process of doing skin grafts to fill the incisions in. They are not healing well at the present time. No fun. Prayers would be helpful and appreciated.

But things could be worse. What if he had catapulted himself down the ravine? Or off a cat walk?

But I must say it is beautiful. Live to enjoy it another day - from a healthy distance.

desertgirl said...

Thank you for agreeing with me for being cautious. I've been called a rabbit, mouse, nervous, worry-wart, etc. I think sometimes it's okay to be cautious.