Saturday, June 2, 2007

Shriveling in a sunburned city

As most of you know, I live in a small town not unlike Hell, (or I'm guessing it's similar, since I've never been to Hell, but I'll keep you updated.) Back to the point; while reading my favorite author, Bill Bryson, he mentions a "city" he is visiting in Australia named Canberra, in the book In a Sunburned Country, and it just so happens that it is the capitol of Australia, but don't book that plane ticket yet...according to good ole' Bill, he is telling about his experience there and the lack of well, uh, everything. Nightlife...extinct; music...nope, culture...what's that? You get the idea. (So I thought I'd mention that it's Saturday, beautiful sunny 85 degree weather, and guess what, there's nothing to do where I live. Trust me, I've looked. You can watch tv in your house, or go to a movie in the theater, either way, you're stuck sitting in front of a screen...oh yeah, or hike to your death in the heat.) Okay, no more tangents, but I did think Mr. Bryson's interpretation of Canberra, Australia could also describe "my town". The premise: he's been looking all day for a place to find dinner, finds nothing, he ends up in a hotel bar on a Friday night at 10 minutes after 10 o'clock p.m. He tries to think of a slogan that "sums up" Canberra, while looking around the bar and only seeing four other people in the whole place. His first slogan is "Canberra-There's Nothing to It". Second one, "Canberra-Why Wait for Death?", and his third, "Canberra-Gateway to Everywhere Else!".
I think I will steal his second line, but change it a little, "Cedar City-Why Wait for Death?" I truly believe that people move here with the intention of shriveling up and disappearing into the dusty desert earth and eventually hoping to turn into cryptobiotic soil, which might be why "they" tell you not to step on it; it might be someone's grandma...
The thing that is sad in all of this, is that the people here actually believe that this is how life is. Some of them have never driven 60 miles to Zion National Park, some have never left this town at all. It has a University and appears innovative, but there are definitely some things lacking. Like I say, "I can get mad, or I can get out." Think I'll go with the second line again...Thanks Bill!

4 comments:

Nevaeh said...

Bravo! Bravo! One more vivid tale written by the magnificiant Desertgirl. I love reading your stuff. Write a book, I will buy it! :) p.s I loved the slogan you picked. It's so very acurate.

Anonymous said...

Thats how I feel about Utah in general. There are few opprotunities there. Get out and go somewherre else. I wish I had left when I was a kid and maybe I would have had a great singing career.

desertgirl said...

Thanks for the comments! I love that you like my writing. As for anonymous, I agree...I don't know what I'm missing. I hope to be pleasantly surprised once I leave Utah. P.S. I miss reading your blog, make a new one maybe?

Anonymous said...

The blog has been reopened. I will commence posting when everyone has read and understood my first post.